The Studebaker family began their manufacturing empire in South Bend, Indiana.
Five young men, sons of a blacksmith, were responsible for the founding and early development
of one of the world's oldest vehicle-manufacturing companies. Two of these men, Clement (1831-1901) and John Mohler (1833-1917) Studebaker, were presidents of the company.
The Studebaker brothers were children of John S. and Rebecca Mohler Studebaker. The family lived near Gettysburg, Pa., until 1836, when they moved to Ashland County, Ohio.
Clement and Henry moved to South Bend, Ind., in 1850.
There Clement saved the money he made teaching school, and the two men opened a blacksmith and wagon-building shop in 1852. Their total resources were 68 dollars and two sets of
smithy tools. In the first year they built three wagons and sold two.
John later went to California, but he returned to South Bend in 1858. He bought Henry's interest
in the firm, which then became C. and J.M. Studebaker.
The introduction of the railroad and the resulting development of agriculture in the Middle West
increased the demand for wagons. During the American Civil War the company received a contract to build government wagons. The business was incorporated in 1868 and became the
Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company, with Clement, John, and Peter (1836-97) as owners. Clement was the company president.
A 1951 robin's egg blue Studebaker
displays the designer's use of streamlined forms.
In 1870 Jacob (1844-87), the youngest brother, became director of the carriage works.
Studebaker carriages won many first prizes for design and craftsmanship. The company became the largest manufacturer of horse-drawn vehicles in the world. In 1897 Clement began
experiments with self-propelled vehicles. After his death the firm made electric and gasoline automobiles, and in 1920 it ceased to build wagons. It discontinued the manufacture of automobiles in 1966.