1828 - Henry Lomb was born in Burgham, Hesse-Kassel, Germany on November 24.
1830 - John Jacob Bausch was born in Gross Suessin, Wurttemberg, Germany on July 25.
1848 - Bausch went to Berne, Switzerland to take his first job in an optical shop.
1849 - Bausch and Lomb -- unknown to each other -- immigrate to the U.S.
1850 - Bausch tries to find work in Upstate New York. No business in optical trade in either Buffalo or Rochester.
1853 - Bausch opened retail optical shop on November 3, 1853. Shop is located in the Reynolds Arcade in Rochester. Shop stocked with spectacles, thermometers, field glasses, telescopes, magnifiers, opera glasses,
microscopes, and hours glasses. Most products are imported from Germany.
1854 - Bausch borrows $60 from his friend, Henry Lomb, a cabinet maker, with the promise that if the business
grows to a point where he needs a partner, Lomb will be that partner.
1854 - Edward Bausch is born on September 26.
1855 - Lomb becomes an active partner in the business.
1856 - J. J. Bausch went to Europe to purchase optical goods and establish relations with producing houses.
Late 1850s - Bausch found a piece of Vulcanite Rubber (a hard rubber used in combs) on the street.
Discovered he could form eyeglass frames from the material.
1860 - First machine for the production of spectacles was built.
1861 - Henry Lomb made sales manager of company. J. J. Bausch's brother taken into the business.
April 23: Henry Lomb enlisted in Company C, 13th Regiment of the New York State Volunteers. Promoted to
sergeant, lieutenant, then captain. Mustered out May 13, 1863.
1861 - Because of the rising price of gold (the main material used for eyeglass frames at that time) due to the
war, and because of blockades preventing importation of European horn (also used for frames because American horn was too brittle), sales of Bausch's Vulcanite rubber eyeglass frames soar. (Frames are much
1866 - J. J. Bausch took charge of manufacturing and Henry Lomb took charge of sales in New York City (182 Broadway, corner of John St.)
1866 - June 1, Firm of Bausch & Lomb is dissolved and now went under the name "Vulcanite Optical Instrument Company.". The India Rubber Comb Company granted the firm and exclusive contract to
manufacture optical instruments using Vulcanite.
1866 - J. J. Bausch & Company was reorganized as The Vulcanite Optical Instrument Company.
Manufactured Hard rubber eyeglass frames and mountings for magnifiers -- under India Rubber Comb Company and American Hard Rubber Company patents.
1867 - Began making nose frames, watchmakers' and engravers' loupes, linen provers, pocket microscopes and magnifiers.
1868 - Loupes and magnifiers made of Vulcanite went on the market. Attempts were made to make opera glasses.
1868 - Business improved to such an extent that a one-room factory building could be occupied and workmen employed. Here eyeglasses were developed. Bausch invented and applied the first nosepiece, springs and guard.
1870 - Power lens grinding was begun on a small scale. Bausch designed the machinery which was gradually improved. These improvements were reflected in better quality lenses.
1874 - Edward Bausch went to work in the manufacturing shop.
1876 - August 11, company named changed from the Vulcanite Optical Instrument Co. to Bausch & Lomb Optical Company.
1876 - Beginning of microscope manufacturing.
1876 - Bausch & Lomb microscopes won distinction at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition.
1878 - Edward Bausch took charge of microscope production.
1883 - Photographic lenses added to line of products.
1885 - Edward Bausch wrote the book "Manipulation of the Microscope."
1887 - Edward Bausch invented the Iris Diaphragm Shutter for cameras; granted patent #382858.
1889 - Started production of spectacle lenses on a large scale.
1890 - Company began production of anastigmatic photographic lenses; microtomes and photomicrographic equipment.
1892 - Newly patented series of lenses, anastigmatic photographic, designed by Doctors Abbe and Rudolph, were made by Bausch & Lomb for U.S. distribution under Zeiss license.
1893 - Company began production of binoculars and telescopes.
1899 - Edward Bausch named vice president of Bausch & Lomb.
1908 - Bausch & Lomb incorporated in New York State on March 20.
1908 - Henry Lomb died at his summer home in Pittsford, New York (now a suburb of Rochester) on June 13.
1915 - World War I created a need for Bausch & Lomb binocular telescopes, searchlight mirrors, periscopes, gunsights, torpedo tube sights.
1926 - J. J. Bausch died on February 24. Edward Bausch became president of the company.
1935 - Position of Chairman of the Board created.
1935 - Edward Bausch named first chairman.
1938 - "Bausch & Lomb operates the only glass plant in America devoted exclusively to the manufacture of optical glass." (Source: 1938 annual report)
1941 - Cornerstone of Bausch Hall, Rochester Museum and Science Center (then called the Rochester Museum of Arts and Sciences), is laid. The property was donated to the museum by Edward Bausch. It was
the site of his home.
1944 - Edward Bausch died on July 30.
1944 - William Bausch died on October 19.
1944 - Army Navy 5th Star awarded on October 19.
1953 - Company's 100th Anniversary.
1956 - Carl Bausch elected chairman of the board.
1958 - March 24: Bausch & Lomb Common stock was first listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
1959 - Annie Julia Bausch Drescher, last surviving child of J. J. Bausch, died May 26.
1961 - Bausch & Lomb announced world's largest quartz lens, 36" in diameter, 6" thick, 350 pounds.
1964 - Spacecraft Ranger 7 takes picutres of moon. Three Bausch & Lomb Super Baltar Lenses were modified for use in the television cameras which sent back pictures until the Ranger crashed on the moon.
1966 - Sales top the $100 million mark for the first time.
1966 - Company occupies a newly expanded plant on Linden Avenue.
1966 - Gratings Lab on St. Paul St. is dedicated.
1969 - September: Application filed with FDA for New Drug Application (NDA) for soft contact lenses.
1971 - MARCH 18: APPROVAL TO MARKET SOFT CONTACT LENSES RECEIVED FROM THE FDA.
1985 - July 25: Glass Plant closes.
1989 - May: Company announced plans for a new 18-acre public park extending along the eastern banks of
the Genesee River in Rochester. The park will be named Bausch & Lomb Riverside Park.
1989 - June 23: B&L signed an agreement with Levi Strauss & Co. under which Bausch & Lomb will design
and introduce a line of sunglasses bearing the Levi's name.